With so many available jigs on the market, picking the right one for your AR-15 build can get a little confusing. Each 80 lower jig comes with its own features, 80% lower compatibility, and unique tooling to get the job done. Here are the top 80 lower jigs of 2019, mild to wild!
Most affordable: 80% Lower Easy Jig GEN 1
First up is the most affordable 80 lower jig available: The Easy Jig! The GEN 1 iteration of the Easy Jig comes in under $200, making it our least expensive contender.
The Easy Jig was the first to the AR-15 market and it continues to be celebrated by builders. The Easy Jig is one of the easiest to use (as the name implies), and it includes plenty of features that one might not expect from the “cheapest jig” available:
- No drill press required!
- Built-in drill depth guides
- Individually replaceable plates
- Requires 10 holes drilled vs. 42 holes (other jigs)
- Compatible with most 80% lowers
- Includes required tooling and bits
- Includes how-to video tutorial!
We’re huge fans of those first two features: You don’t need a drill press, so you can get away with using a basic hand drill! Those built-in depth guides eliminate the need for calculating measurements when cutting your 80% lower, too.
Made a mistake? Replace the guide plate that took a beating. The Easy Jig’s so nice because even if you mess up, you can fix it affordably. It’s the perfect, affordable jig for first-timers.
Easiest to build: Polymer 80 AR-15 80% Lower Receiver and Jig Kit
Most AR-15s are built using forged or billet aluminum receivers. Our friends over at Polymer80 developed a wicked new polymer 80% lower for AR-15 builds. The beauty of this new lower is that it includes its own, proprietary jig.
The Polymer 80 Combo Kit is hands-down the easiest 80% lower and jig to complete at home. If you’re nervous about using power tools and end mill bits, then this is the jig for you.
- Jig and lower requires no setup
- Complete your lower in 15 to 30 minutes
- Requires a Dremel and hand files – no drill, router, or press!
- Polymer 80% lower weighs just 0.3 pounds
- Composite solid core design
- Reinforced buffer tube housing
- Integrated trigger guard
- Includes necessary tools and bits
Put simply, machining polymer is way easier than machining metal. Cutting the polymer lower with a Dremel takes a few minutes, and you can even drill the required holes with a manual drill if you want. Final fitment can be done with hand files, too.
Compatible with most routers: Easy Jig GEN 2 with Tooling
A handheld router isn’t exactly a cheap investment. Good routers start at around $100 and can climb up over $500, even $1,000. If you’ve already got a bad-ass router at home and don’t want to buy one for your 80 lower jig, then the Easy Jig GEN 2 is the jig you want.
Tested and guaranteed to be compatible with 23 of the most popular routers, the Easy Jig GEN 2 is perfect for the AR builder who already has the right power tools. The GEN 2 also boasts some nice upgrades over the Easy Jig GEN 1:
- Complete an 80% lower in just 30 minutes!
- Requires just one hole to be drilled before milling
- Hardened steel stabilizers improve drilling speed and accuracy
- Self-centering mill guide ensures clean cuts with exotically-shaped lowers
- Compatible with the AR-15 and AR-9 80% lower
- Insert and remove your lower in 10 seconds
- No-contact guide plates increase tool and jig life
- Includes required drill bits and end mill bit
Upgrade site plates and centering mechanisms allow the GEN 2 to work more quickly, with better results. This is the 80 lower jig you want if you’re ready to build like a pro.
Fastest, most universal: 5D Tactical Router Jig PRO with Tooling
Here it is, the jig to beat ‘em all: The 5D Tactical Router Jig PRO. This is the 80 lower jig you buy to pump out lower after lower, in any caliber, in no time at all:
- Completes an 80% lower in 15 minutes!
- Guaranteed to be 100% universal with all 80 lowers
- Compatible with AR-15, AR-9, LR-308, and polymer
- Built-in steel drill bushings eliminate need for drill press
- Heat-treated, heavy-duty side plates
- Integrated drill and mill depth guides
- Includes patented ReadyMILL End Mill Bit System
The secret to the 5D Tactical’s sauce is the ReadyMILL End Mill Bit System. This is a by-design end mill bit specifically tooled for machining billet and forged aluminum. 5D Tactical even developed the ReadyMILL specifically for the most popular routers on the market.
Conclusion: What’s the best 80 lower jig?
- The most affordable, reusable jig is the Easy Jig GEN 1.
- The easiest-to-complete jig includes an 80% lower: The Polymer 80 Lower and Jig Kit.
- The GEN 2 Easy Jig will work with most routers — if you already own one, consider this.
- If you want the ultimate gunsmithing station, the 5D Tactical Router Jig PRO gets the job done the fastest and effortlessly.